Why Can’t All Immigrants Get Lawyers?
An editorial published in the New York Times on Tuesday raises the importance of adequate representation in immigration proceedings. While this opinion piece specifically focuses on the importance of immigration lawyers for refugees, the truth is that all immigrants require competent representation to navigate the United States’ increasingly labyrinthine immigration system.
Given the complex nature of immigration law, many immigrants also find themselves lost in the bureaucracy. Immigration law also seems deceptively easy based on the USCIS web site. However, it is a minefield full of traps for the unwary, and every case must emanate from a well thought-through strategy. While it is true that almost anyone can fill out forms, immigration law is about so much more than that. While no one is required to have a lawyer when applying for a visa or defending themselves against deportation, our immigration laws are so sensitive that a simple mistake in the preparation and processing could lead to someone being permanently barred from the United States. By working with a competent immigration lawyer, many of the difficulties can be resolved.
It is highly recommended that an immigrant consult with an attorney who practices immigration law if:
- They are uncertain about their eligibility for an immigration benefit
- They are requesting any sort of discretionary relief, such as a waiver,
- They are finding it difficult to obtain a USCIS green card, citizenship, or other immigration benefit
- They have been notified that deportation proceedings are being started against them
- They have been deported from the U.S. and wish to apply to return
- They need emergency help with an immigration matter
- They have had an immigration application refused or denied
- They have been convicted of a criminal offense or have committed a criminal offense and are trying to enter the U.S. or protect themselves from removal from the U.S.
- They are planning to move to the U.S. to work for a U.S. employer and it has not assisted them with the immigration process
- They have looked into the application process and realized that the number of forms and documents they must prepare is either too confusing or time-consuming to deal with on their own,
- They are applying for an investment-based visa.
- They are experiencing long delays in their immigration process
Hiring an immigration lawyer can be well worth it for the peace of mind alone. Contact us today and one of our Phoenix immigration attorneys will be happy to discuss your case.
Photo by Getty Images, royalty-free license